Thursday, September 15, 2005

Mark My Words: Week 3

Wow, I'm still in shock. Like walking in on your wife with another man, the BigTen completely pulled the unexpected when all three of the top dogs, Iowa, Michigan, and Ohio State lost. I still don't think I've recovered from the horror. What was the most painful from the three games, was that AJ Hawk gained more yards than Drew Tate, Mike Hart, and Ted Ginn. My dark horse Vandy still continues to impress. I've also noticed that whenever I pick against Notre Dame and Georgia they each win. So this week I'm picking Georgia over UL Monroe (who?) hoping to have the curse work with me!

Michigan State vs Notre Dame UPSET SPECIAL
I know, I know...I've already picked against Our Lady twice this year, but I just can't help but think the third times a charm. Notre Dame has never been likeable from my vantage point, but somehow this quorum of Domers have been nothing but fun to watch. So I'll be following my Curse of ND/GA theory and picking Drew Stanton and the Spartans to walk out of South Bend with a big fat Win. It should be noted, however, that if Drew Stanton gets hurt, the Irish romp...just subtract about 28 of MSU's score below.
Michigan State 42 – Notre Dame 41

San Diego St vs Ohio St WOODSHED GAME OF THE WEEK
After the heartbreak from last weeks contest, I fully expect the Buckeye offense to take complete responsibility and come out with a fire to prove they can actually score touchdowns. I do also expect the Bucks D to have a slight bit of lax time before really getting fired up. They put their heart and souls on the lines and their offensive counterparts really let them down. Look for Troy Smith to have a huge game and Zwick to get some mop-up time in the second half. I expect nothing more than complete domination in quarters 2 and 3.
OSU 49 - SDSU 17

Vanderbilt vs Ole Miss
Can Jay Cutler be any more clutch? For two straight weeks they have needed a touchdown in the last minutes of a road game to win, and for two straight weeks he has delivered. This week is Vandy's first home game, and I expect them to come out fired up to play in front of a sellout crowd of 5,000 future doctors and engineers. Well, maybe Nashville doesn't quite appreciate Cutler and the boys as much as I do, but look for nothing less than a statement made by the boys in...um....gold? black? Whatever. Cutler for Heisman...week 3!
Vandy 35 – Ole Miss 20

Oklahoma vs UCLA
Put Oklahoma right up there with teams I just love to hate, along with Georgia and Notre Dame. The only thing worse than listening to announcers fawn all over Bob Stoops and his big game coaching (how'd that Nat'l Title game turn out for y'all?), is when the pollsters do it too. Why Oklahoma is even ranked is beyond me. Just goes to show that no matter how liberal the regular media is, the sports media just can't get past it's conservative "I love the traditional powerhouse programs" ways. Thank God for me, Maurice Drew and the UCLA Bruins are going to seal OU's trip out of the top 25.
UCLA 24 – OU 13

Purdue vs Arizona
Jerrod Void has been playing since the Reagan administration. At least that's how it feels. Biron quipped last week that "Jesus" Void looks like he was the fastest player on the field in their win over Akron. Well it certainly helps when you have 6 years of conditioning under your belt. Also, what was bad for the A-K-Ron is going to be bad for the Wildcats too. Most people will talk about Tiller's pass offense and how Brandon Kirsch is as good as Orton (he's not). This game is won or lost based on Void's play. Expect good things from the Big Ten (God I hope).
Purdue 38 – Arizona 31

TCU vs Utah - (Thursday)
Teebs, being the Utah alum that he is, has been getting on my case about not giving some love to the Utes. Well, their mascot offends me, so I banned them from predictions. In all reality, Utah is from a crap conference and hasn't played anyone yet that made them worth mentioning. Now they do. I would love to say that the Utes are as good as when Urban coached there, and I would love to say that they are going to romp over TCU. But the fact of the matter is TCU lost to SMU...which is an amazing team. SMU has cool colors that make for sweet fitted caps, which means....who am I kidding, who the hell loses to SMU! I don't care how good people think Taye Gunn is....
Utah 28 – TCU 21

Florida vs Tennessee GAME OF THE WEEK
The biggest game for both teams....until, well until, either play LSU, or Georgia, or Auburn, or anyone else in that conference.... will come down to the arm of Chris Leak. Voice in Head: LIAR! Ok, so it won't come down to Leak. It should though...that's what the announcers, fans, and prognosticators want. What it's really going to come down to is Mercury. If the third astral plane has retrograded into Mercury then the Libras will not have an athletic day. Well...that's at least what my astrologer told me after she called for a loan to get her car fixed. Anyways, I've never based a pick on astrology (lie), emotions (lie), or superstitions (really big lie), so I'm sticking with the Gators. I do this, only because my hatred for Phil "State's Evidence" Fulmer is worse than for Urban "Sell out my Alma Mater" Meyer. If I had it my way both teams would play 3298 overtimes and the NCAA would declare that all players had expired their college eligibility. But that just wasn't in the cards. Getting away from topic again. Ok.....and the Gators win!
UF 26,409 – Tenn 26,407 3298 OTs

1 Comments:

  • I don't think Charlie loses here, but my god the story would be a great one if MSU went in and mopped up UM's sloppy seconds. That game in a few weeks would have all kinds of hatred built into it - as if it needed more.

    You and Vandy - ha. One of these days they go down, but as bad as Ole Miss looked against Memphis only having to sit on the run with the backup QB in, they still only managed to hold onto the ball long enough to score 10 points. Cutler cuts them with surgical precision, and in case you're scoring at home that's meant to have that hidden effect meaning-thing - so giggle, but not too much.

    No way Stoops lets his team sink lower and lower down to nothingness - too good of a coach and too much talent, despite it not being where they need it.

    "Go back, go back, go back to the 'wood
    Your fans got no class and your team ain't no good
    "

    I don't think Arizona puts up more than 3 scores, and definitely no more than 2 TD's.

    Picking TCU out of spite, just cause I know Boz tweaks his nipples at night knowing he's carrying a trump card anytime we defend the Buckeyes.

    And ya, I'm going to say that Tennessee is a much better team than they showed vs UAB, and granted Riggs doesn't get hurt with that bad case of Pussitis he's had for a few years, they hang right in this game. Florida wins - too good of a coach, too good of a system and too good of the guy running it...Chris Leak.

    By Blogger bironm, at 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home