Monday, November 21, 2005

NFL Tidbits for Week #11

I think the Bengals exposed a Colts defense untested against a legitimate offensive threat, however the Colts also showed that regardless of the situation that they've found that way to win required of all great teams. I can't remember scoring 27 at halftime and being down 8 points, but kudos to both teams for playing an extremely entertaining game. Oh, fuck the Colts for winning.

Btw, I wonder what Colts' Offensive Coordinator Tom Moore's going to do when Peyton's not around to call plays for him?

I think the Chargers are a dark horse again in the playoff race. One of the most underrated teams in the league, Drew Brees continues to show why Phillip Rivers is destined for anywhere but San Diego. The ageless one, Keenan McCardell continues to impress, but if Antonio Gates right foot turns out to warrant that protective boot from Sunday - suddenly the Chargers are much easier to defend. I don't think I need to say anything about L.T., I think we all can agree he's the best RB in the NFL despite Shaun Alexander's record setting pace of touchdowns.

Speaking of Shaun, amazing how many red zone looks you get after ripping your team up and down over a single fuckin' carry at the end of the 2004 season. He's now on pace to destroy Priest Holmes' mark of 27 in 2003 by scoring 30 - I mean, that is if you consider "destroy" and "by 3" the same.

Hey, the Houston Texans are about 53 players, a coaching staff and a knowledgable front office away from competing...

For all you people talking about the weak NFC and the Bear's chance at representing them at the Super Bowl, you do have one thing correct in your assessment of their defense - they are 2000 Ravens-like. I think by the end of the season you'll see they're not on that same level, but they have played eerily similar to it so far this season. However, your feelings on how Kyle Orton is going to make a fine pro - that all depends on which light you consider Trent Dilfer a part of.

And Tre - err, Kyle poses another interesting situation. What happens to Sexy Rexy nexy(next - sorry) season? I'm thinking trade bait and his past certainly warrants it, but he really showed some flashes of being really good before he got hurt the last 2 seasons. Should he stay healthy he'll be a much better pro than Orton (sorry Bears fans), but then again what do I know - I only watched Orton crash and burn twice at Purdue after reaching career peaks.

All I can do about the Rams loss to the Cardinals Sunday is step back and represent my hood with a token-black Stuart Scott catch-phrase - "my bad dawg." Here I am wondering why the hell the Rams refuse to use Steven Jackson unless Bulger's hurt - well, Sunday I think Jackson actually ran hard about 27% of the time. By no coincidence does the aforementioned percentage relate to my current fixation with how awesome Eddie George is for appearing in a video game TV show on G4TV.

I love the new TE's in the league - quick, agile and incredibly strong big men getting it done whether it be blocking or receiving. Ben Watson, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey, Heath Miller - I just love 'em, and I sure as hell hope the Bengals pick up one next year. How badass would Leonard Pope look in orange & black?

Ya - had to go back to the Bengals, I'm a homer. While I'm here, let's just mention that Chad Johnson is becoming a complete receiver, and I think only Marvin Harrison & Torry Holt rival him in route running at this point, with Randy Moss and T.O. excluded because their freak of nature status allows them to get open regardless. The emergence of Carson Palmer and the supporting cast in Cincinnati will have Johnson being a force in the league for a long time.

DeAngelo Hall is a stud at CB and is going to enjoy many Pro Bowls, but I swear to god the next person to mention anyone as being a "shutdown CB" is getting punched right in the fucking mouth. They don't exist, shut up.

On the CB kick, I'm finally ready to admit that Deltha O'Neal is worth the hype he's getting for leading the league in interceptions. He makes outstanding plays on the ball and despite his aggressive, ball-hawking mentality, he didn't bite on a single pump fake from Peyton Manning yesterday. On the other side of the field (ahh shit, did I go Bengals again?), Tory James really kinda showed his age and what he has to do to keep up - be overly aggressive. James can still cover plenty well, but he's not going to be manning up on elite WR's with equal success as O'Neal can at this point. I'll say again, Bengals take a DB within the first 2 picks this draft despite our need for beef in the middle.

If the Redskins had another WR to compliment one this season's best in Santana Moss, I don't think they'd be as enigmatic as they've been. Problems arise from the opposing team concentrating on Moss on passing downs and Clinton Portis on rushing downs, and at times it has decimated Washington's offense. Losing to Oakland in a game they should've won has put their playoff credibility in question. Now, WR Taylor Jacobs takes over the #2 slot for injured David Patten and James Thrash - neither of which even makes the team in Cincinnati.

Shit, I did it again. But honestly, how sweet is it to have football back in the Buckeye state? Btw Cleveland doesn't count, for all I care that state up north can annex them.

1 Comments:

  • If anything I think the Bengals showed that Indy isn't indestructible, as we were able to move the ball at will against the #2 rated defense in the NFL. Roethlisberger can definitely provide the arm for the balanced attack needed to keep the Colts from sitting on the run, I just question Pittsburgh's WR's being playmakers. If ever there was a case for Plaxico as a Steeler again, I'd venture to say that's now.

    Pittsburgh will need to sell the pass and then grind it out, playing their usual mistake-free football. It's going to take a few big plays from Ben's arm and a whole lot of AFC North football to get it done, but it definitely can. Ahh what the hell...Pittsburgh 24, Indianapolis 20.

    By Blogger bironm, at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home