Wednesday, August 17, 2005

What the hell is wrong with people?

It’s not often that I get pissed off. It rarely, if ever, occurs. If my anger scale were based on batting averages, I’d be hitting .573. But today, while perusing the latest T.O. musings on ESPN.com, I came across a questionnaire. So I’m going through the poll, “Yes the eagles should have seen this coming,” etc… I finish up and click to see the results to gauge how in touch I am with the pulse of the sporting world. To my amazement 45.0% of the people in this world are complete fucking idiots.

Question 10 asks, “If all were equally talented, who would you rather have playing for your favorite team?”
A) A player who causes no problems on the field but has a rap sheet off the field.
B) A player who causes headaches in the clubhouse but is a good citizen off the field.
C) A player who causes no problems on or off the field but is widely known to use steroids.


Somehow, 45% of the people who voted in this poll voted for A! 36% voted for B, and only 19% voted for C. Is that what life has come to people? We’d rather have someone commit crimes and play sports fair than have someone who’s just an asshole?

Personally, I think everyone who voted for answer A should have Mark Chmura come to their house and hang out with their 13 year old daughters. Or maybe Jamal Lewis, Darryl Strawberry, and Diego Maradona can come traffic some coke into their schools. Better yet, we can have Mike Danton hire Jayson Williams to off all these morons while Marv Albert commentates!

As for answer B, I just can’t see that either. How hard is it to get along with people…it’s not like we’re asking athletes to negotiate the unconditional nuclear surrender of Pyongyang; just to shut their yaps and do their jobs. If I bitched every day about my pay and how much quan I was getting, I’d be fired before week one was over…even if I was the best damn [insert job title] ever. You guys can take T.O., Bonds, Randy, Keyshawn, Lindros, and Kobe and enjoy the sports tabloids all you want.

I voted for C. I know what you’re thinking, “What about the integrity of the game!” Or, “What about the safety of the athletes?!?” Horseshit. Those concepts are as outdated as the amateur athlete the NCAA keeps shoving down our throats. It’s the athlete’s body, it’s their decision, and if they want to die at 40 to make $15 mils a year and be the best at their sport then more power to them. They’re trying to win and make themselves the best they can. How is that bad, because it’s unhealthy? Cry me a river…and all you fuckers who smoke and binge drink every weekend are doing wonders for your own health, so stop acting like you care about someone else’s. As for the integrity part, America doesn’t have integrity…never has. George Washington owned slaves, Ty Cobb beat a man with no hands and was a famed racist, Bill Clinton committed perjury, and W started a war because he was bored on a Tuesday. Hell, even America itself swindled the most valued land in the world, Manhattan, from the Native Americans for a handful of beads. Get off your soapbox and stick integrity up your ass. Sports are all about winning and doing whatever you can to do such. Deal with it.

Oh, and if you don’t like what I have to say, please comment and give me your two cents…I’d love the hear an intelligent rebuttal from those out there who voted for A.

7 Comments:

  • Well I can't rebut really as I didn't vote and I don't watch sports. Actually I think your right on as far as the severity goes. Although I disagree with your general attitude on integrity. Reaching for higher ideals is not a bad thing. For the record steroid use is against the rules yes? So isn't the use of steroids in the sense that you are breaking rules the same as breaking the laws which in themselves are a only an enforced list of rules? Even if you take the view that laws are based on moral order then cheating is also breaking moral law. Still to hold you too that isn't fair as you had to pick one of the options. Me personaly I think I'd go for B. Then I'd fire the idiot for not being able to keep his yap shut. Heck wouldn't you fire the guy who uses steroids? After all. He is breaking the rules and anyone who doesn't believe that that sort of thing gets progressivly worse over time has no real sense of history.

    The Lumpy

    By Blogger Julia Reffner, at 1:36 PM  

  • Very well put :) I was practically jumping out of my chair when I read over this. I cannot believe that we are prepared to tolerate athletes committing crimes against other people but if they do steroids in their own home...GOOD LORD! I definitely agree with your point that there's really no need for them to be assholes in the first place, but if you have to pick, either B or C. Definitely no one who commits crimes off field. There's no excuse for that.

    By Blogger Owen, at 1:54 PM  

  • Lumpy is a classic name from Leave it to Beaver.

    Steroids are nothing like Creatine, you don't automatically get stronger just by taking creatine, you should know this being the Professor and all :)

    What the hell is up with the NHL on the outdoor life channel btw?

    By Blogger Teebeebee, at 1:54 PM  

  • I'd like to see them do their thing without any performance enhancing drugs whatsoever. Although as I've already said I'm largely ignorant in the matter so from this point on I'll shut my pie hole and let you experts chew it over.

    As for the name. Lumpy is short for Lumpkin which I pulled a long time ago from Lord of The Rings. Tom Bombadils ponys name was Fatty Lumpkin. I weigh a whopping 136 lbs so I enjoy the irony.

    I'm sure that was more information then you needed to know but hey. you asked.

    The Lumpy

    By Blogger Julia Reffner, at 3:35 PM  

  • I think the answer differs in the 3 major governing bodies of sports. In baseball prior to 2005, you opted for player 'C' - obviously you get maximum returned performance at apparently no cost to the team, the player's integrity or the sports'. However since the congressional hearings you opt for player 'B' - baseball has traditonally dealt with criminal acts especially in pertaining to the game, but due to the salary structure in baseball a bad locker room tempermant is either A) dismissed due to on-field performance (who cares if you're an asshole if you're winning MVP's...Barry Bonds) or B) decided it wasn't worth your performance and trade them away.

    In basketball the choice is easily 'B' - although 'A' makes a strong arguement because money buys your way out of problems and the more 'thug' you become the more fans you gain - not to mention your own footwear. But, if you're the projected an asshole in the locker room (player 'B') - you either get traded (about 10% of the time) or upper management dishes off your Hall-of-Fame coach and/or the teammates you don't get along with.

    In football the answer is 'A' - this means you, Jamal & Ray-Ray. Football's locker room during the 20-week season is vital to your team's success, any disruptions can cause a team-wide breakdown moreso than baseball because you rely on 10 other players simultaneously on the field. If you peddle a coke deal or god forbid kill a guy, the NFL will scramble to protect their (1st) and your (2nd) reputations until the point of dismissal, as was the case in defending Rae Carruth until he was exposed as the piece of shit that he was.

    By Blogger bironm, at 3:50 PM  

  • Saying MLB doesn't have a salary cap is ignorant, they clearly have a money sharing plan, the main problem lies in the fact that the clubs that get free money from the top spenders don't reinvest it in their team. If teams used it properly, it would work.

    By Blogger Teebeebee, at 12:15 AM  

  • Football is for drunks. Crypto likes football. Crypto is a drunk.

    I love math!

    By Blogger Teebeebee, at 2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home