Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Unguided Blog

Hope everybody celebrated Thanksgiving (well, except for Mormons I'm guessing) by eating great food, being with family and giving thanks for the things that matter that we often overlook at times - our many freedoms, our families & possibly the most important thing...me updating this site in light of Boz going on a religious mission (?) to Kenya and Swade not posting since my FSU Babes post that rocked the very foundation of blogging in general. I know it's not easy to follow up, but with this post it's been bumped off the front page and certainly only those that viewed it originally will remember it...as well as everyone reading this paragraph who clicked "FSU Babes" that had that same hyperlink to it.

At any rate, check out my post FSU Babes when you get a chance - and what was I talking about again?

I kind of feel like I owe one of those posts where I cover a bunch of topics as to what's been going on lately in the sports & gaming world that this blog so eloquently (doesn't) cover, but I'm kinda going into this post blind so I'm not real sure where exactly I'm heading. You know actually, I'll just make a list:

Ok well, I guess onto the links.

Gamespot has posted a really cool article about all the cover athletes this year on sports games, it basically has the before and after stats of being on the cover in the same flavor as everyone talks about how being on the covers is a curse (certainly none of that around here), but it's a pretty cool quick read.

Gamespy (whom I recently decided that I should work for) has a pretty pimp Buyer's Guide up for the holidays. I normally don't like to totally pimp sites too much or try to make one site money (ya, and pigs routinely fly outta my ass), but the extents gone thru in this guide had to be recognized by someone - just choose your platform and go.

IGN has an article posted entitled "Top Ten Reasons to Buy an Xbox 360" - and it certainly makes a compelling argument. I know Boz had one pre-ordered and I think already paid for (imagine if he posted more than twice every month), but with his whole moving back to New York thing and going on a cruise (ok, I lied about the Mormon mission - I often go for shock ratings), we really don't have any FM exclusives on the games or the systems. What IGN really needs to do is write an article that'll actually help me out - "Convince Your Pregnant Wife to Buy an Xbox 360...Instead of Nursery Furniture" - although the title could be a work in progress.

And finally, I've been asked a few times about any news on the PS3 - launch, price, features - and I came up with an interview with Howard Springer (Chairman and CEO of Sony) that occurred on November 1st. A few highlights, because I know you bastards don't want to read the whole thing:

  • "In a demonstration of the swift collaborative response to consumer-driven marketplace changes that a revitalized Sony can deliver, the company soon will unveil a line of compact, portable video devices to fill the time gap before PlayStation 3 launches in Japan in March and in the U.S. a year from now."
  • "The reason Sony has suddenly gained support for Blu-ray is simple," said a high-level studio executive close to the discussions. "PS3 is a subsidized Blu-ray play that will sell 20 million units. The first HD player will be on the market for $1,000. PS3 could be at $300 or $400. Sony will be selling them at a loss the first six months to a year just to get Blu-ray players out in the market. So studios realize they need to have their content on it."
  • "In keeping with the PlayStation business model, PS3 will roll out at a loss for the first six months, then rapidly turn profits on game-license fees. PS3 will be bundled with a selection of preloaded films, TV programs and games and sell for between $300-$400."

So there you have it. If you haven't read about the "Blu-ray" thing with Sony you can find out a bit about it in that link, and I'm sure I'll blog something about it to fill space at some point. I'm still pretty pro-Sony, but an entire year waiting on the new console is going to suck - but really sounds like a helluva deal. I'm working on the wife for a PSP for Xmas, but then again I work on relatives for video game shit every year but often come up unsuccessful - and I assume this year to be no different as we find out the baby's sex on December 19th...baby clothes galore!

2 Comments:

  • I read an article somewhere - well - then googled and found a reprint of exactly what I read elsewhere, but Mario Kart for the DS sold 110,000 copies over the holiday. The big thing is that over 52,000 of them have already been taken online (you know me, the online guy), which is 45% of the userbase.

    In comparison, Halo 2 (Xbox Live's biggest online title) was only taken online by 18% of the new owners ever after 3 weeks.

    The DS is sounding pretty good right about now - wonder if I should put that on the list for when someone scoffs at the price of a PSP?

    By Blogger bironm, at 2:53 AM  

  • 2 days left until i return from my religous hiatus of learning how to say "No, I don't want any of your mexican crap."

    Been trapped on a cruise ship for the past 9 days, had the xbox 360 at launch only to have to call and tell them to sell it cuz I wouldn't be around and have had to deal with my mother-in-law's senility for the past 300 hours.

    Let's just say walking the plank has been considered a viable option.

    Gotta run, .75 a minute Internet from the pacific ocean doesn't seem like a good deal.

    Oh yeah, a good way to convince a prego wife to buy a 360 is lots and lots of cunnilingus.

    By Blogger Teebeebee, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home