Thursday, December 15, 2005

EA Sports NCAA 2006 Tournament

The 2005 EA Sports NCAA Football Challenge concluded last weekend, with Clemson University's Michael Hawkins emerging the winner of the $10,000 prize. Hawkins won the final 36-35 after hitting an 80-yard hail mary with less than a minute remaining in the game to take the lead, and then Penn State University's Dan Ward botched a 61-yard field goal as time expired.

Sound familiar? Ya, it's like the story of the NCAA ballers life. Hail Mary to end it, 61 yard field goal the norm - I just find it humorous that I can read thru this article and sympathize with every sentiment conveyed in the special "tips" section. One of my favorites was from last year's champion, Florida State's Jesse "Juice" Hanninan:

It’s a very legit play. Some people thinks it’s an unfair play, but you’ve just got to know the counter for it. You’ve got to be smart enough to stop it.

Now I know everyone plays the same and whatnot, but I have news for you - when you base your entire offense on the HB Direct and then audible in a bomb when someone gears up to stop it...it's not a legit play. I know I'm arguing a fruitless argument and I gave up a long time ago on those not within the "sim" community I'd guess you call it, but I mean I think I'd honestly shit my pants twice watching this event pan out.

I forget what game level this event was played on (I think Varsity or All-American), but I'd love to see some of the guys I play with in an event like this. I don't honestly believe we'd roll in and beat everyone's ass, but I know they'd make for some great games - it just sucks that EA excludes anyone not enrolled at one of the host schools from participating in the event. Wonder if I can enroll at Ohio State for basket weaving or something next quarter...

Anyway, here's the IGN link to the story as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home