Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Unbelievable

I told Swade and Boz not to drop the "F-Bomb" in blog titles, so...

"Fucking Unbelievable"
posted by bironm at 11:52 AM 0 comments

Before I get started, I do realize there's 20-30,000 dead in Pakistan as a result of a monster earthquake, and I'm also aware that the Red Sox and Yankees are both out of the playoffs (there is a God!), and I could also use this time to talk about the finer points of globalization and how cultural distinction is shaping future generations. But what I'm going to get into is much more severe...my fantasy football team is in ruins.

...and for all you sensitive assholes, yes, that's a heavy dose of sarcasm.

I went into the season with the expectations of Willis McGahee becoming a god of the gridiron, and I didn't really even push for him. I had the 3rd pick in our local CBS Sportsline league, but knowing I could get McGahee at 6 I switched with another guy in order to get a better 2nd pick in the snake draft. As a result, I landed Deuce McAllister with the 14th pick - a guy I actually had higher than McGahee on my pre-ranking list, and apparently higher than anyone else because I couldn't believe he fell that far. Last year he had an injury problem and still went over 1,000 yards, but because of lesser number of games I'm assuming everyone just sort of forgot about him.

Oh, if you haven't read ESPN yet, the thing I'm pissed off about is the fact that Deuce tore his ACL yesterday down *I think* 37 points in the 3rd quarter.

Not only that, but my 4th round pick was a big one too. By this round, I already had a stable of backs with McGahee and McAllister, and with the 3rd round pick I got fantasy stud Marc Bulger - I mean, gotta love a guy playing on a team that forces him to pass for 350 yards every game to stay in it. Anyway, 4th round pick is Javon Walker, which...as you may know...tore his ACL in week #1.

I mean, I could sit and whine a bit (and I prolly will - if not here then in person) about like, Derrick Blaylock being gone for the year as one of my backups, but I took him on account of him being a blown out knee away (Curtis Martin) from being a starter anyway. I could rant on Bubba Franks being unhealthy all year, Aaron Brooks & Donte Stallworth being the 2 most inconsistent motherfuckers in the NFL, Jerry Porter being hurt thru the preseason...and then not doing shit when he isn't hurt, Cedric Benson holding out of camp long enough to insure he won't do shit this season, the Eagles defense taking a crap in Dallas yesterday - I dunno, I just need some fuckin love in a major way.

As it sits right now, I'm 3-2 and in 2nd place in my division. I lead the league in fantasy points with 1070 (it's a high scoring league), but I'm about honestly ready to just conceed my $130 entry fee and come to the realization that the jackpot isn't mine this year. I considered my preseason team the best in the league, but now I'm going to scrape by with:

QB Marc Bulger, STL/Aaron Brooks, NO
RB Willis McGahee, BUF
RB Cedric Benson, CHI/Michael Pittman, TB
WR Tory Holt, STL
WR Jerry Porter, OAK
WR Justin McCareins, NYJ/Donte Stallworth, NO
TE Jeremy Shockey, NYG/Bubba Franks, GB
K Jason Elam, DEN
DEF Philadelphia Eagles/Minnesota Vikings

It may not look like a lot, but a preseason WR core of Holt, Porter & Walker was about as good as you could get after selecting WR's in the 4th round. Walker being Favre's #1 target, Porter being a #1 WR on nearly any team not employing Randy Moss, and well - Tory Holt - it's tough to argue that core of receivers.

So, on both fantasy leagues I care about being this one and my Yahoo league I run every year, I've lost Deuce and Walker by week #5 and things are rapidly going to shit. But! On the league I give absolutely no shit about and is worth 0 clout for winning I'm 4-1, and replacing Deuce is just a matter of plugging in Fred Taylor in his place, while replacing Walker was just a matter of plugging in Andre Johnson (who admittingly blows this year, but who saw that shit coming?).

Anyway, that's my rant for the day, and really probably for the month cause I don't remember having ranted in couple weeks. I could talk about losing 2 football games this weekend by virtue of game-ending fumbles in Ohio State/Penn State and Bengals/Jaguars, but that'd be way too much cursing involved - and no one wants to read my variations of "Jesus (insert adjective) Christ" phrases, so ya...till next time.

3 Comments:

  • Ya, someone gets a math degree and a thesaurus and suddenly he's Mark Twain.

    By Blogger bironm, at 2:33 AM  

  • I really hate fantasy football. I mean, hate doesn't describe it. I hate when I have to watch a game with a fantasy guru, who keeps saying "I'm playing that guy this week" or "that's my running back!"

    I mean, after an hour of spouting nonsense about a fictional team that NOONE, and i mean NOONE cares about but himself, I can't stand it.

    If you're into fantasy sports, have a blast, but keep it to yourself, noone gives a shit but you about who you have on your team.

    And that, Chuck, is my rant!

    By Blogger Teebeebee, at 4:01 PM  

  • Teebs - You don't have a lot of ground to stand on my man. You pull for the Jazz, the Utes and scream minor league baseball as a real sport over other more exciting things, like...Cricket.

    You and I may give a shit even if I pacify when the Jazz talk comes up, but - like no one else does. Maybe some folks out west - I dunno, never been to the land of Joseph.

    Swade - you didn't play fantasy football in 8th grade, I'm calling bullshit. In fact, I'm calling for more bullshit than could fill your average septic tank that you'd even take the Bengals defense back in those days either. We won games 41-38 because we couldn't stop anyone, and in your typical 10-12 man league, no one in their right minds would take a defense that ENFUCKINGSURES (dick) that there's no point rewards week to week.

    By Blogger bironm, at 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home